- Saw Palmetto has become well known in recent years because of its ability to protect human males from prostate cancer. It also works for incontinence in your dog, male or female. It supports bladder control by strengthening muscle tone. In male dogs, it can reduce the risks of prostate cancer and prostatitis.
- Pumpkin seed balances hormonal levels and cleanses the urinary tract. It also strengthens the bladder muscles and contributes to the bladder emptying more completely.
Olive Leaf Extract
- Oleuropein, found in olive leaves, is an antimicrobial. When used for bladder control, it reduces the ability of bacteria to adhere to cells lining the bladder. This herb is particularly useful for dogs suffering incontinence because of recurrent bladder infections.
- Couch grass is a diuretic. It is useful for stimulating urine flow and reducing blockage of the urethra. Its ability to soothe inflammation makes it useful for cystitis, prostatitis and urethritis. Couch grass can also help dissolve small kidney stones.
Cranberry and Corn Silk
- Cranberries prevent bacteria from adhering to the lining of the bladder. Make sure you avoid juice that has added sugar or is diluted with water or other substances. It can be difficult to get your dog to drink 100 percent cranberry juice, so a better alternative is giving her a cranberry capsule. Corn silk is a strong astringent that supports urinary muscle control and faster emptying of the bladder. You can find these supplements sold separately, but they are often paired together because of their combined benefits for maintaining urinary health.