The answers lie in the connections between money, marketing and spirituality. Following are the seven lessons I've identified in my own journey as a passion-based small business owner and coach - that I'm now pleased to share with you:
1. Know that money, marketing and spirituality all follow each other. I think of these three key areas as moving, flowing, constantly changing "balls of energy." It's almost like they each have their own circulating vortexes of energy. The key is to get them moving and flowing in the same direction - this is the "sweet spot" you're aiming for. When they're not in alignment, your energy is constricted, and you feel bottlenecked.
With spirituality, I'm talking about owning your own joy - knowing what your joy is, and how you uniquely bring it to the world. When you're aligned on that level, that's when you can get that marketing energetic ball rolling - you can authentically share your spirit with the world in a public way that's packaged and branded perfectly for you. This authentic and joy-based marketing strategy is powerfully enrolling.
When it comes to the money energy ball, this is an area that seems to trip up a lot of small business owners, especially women. When we're in a business that's very passion-oriented, we're excited to help our clients transform their lives or businesses. But your money energy will get constricted - until you claim the money, feel confident in charging for the transformation you provide or the value you create in bettering someone's life. And then you want to allow the money to come in.
2. Your spirit and your small business speak to you - but are you listening? Stop and create time in your day to listen. You can do this by journaling, meditating, getting away from your computer for a mind-clearing walk - anything that allows you to think about your business from a broader perspective. What are your clients saying that they're not really saying? What needs are unspoken? What is your business telling you about your product or service offerings?
To do your most effective listening, I strongly encourage you to use a coach or mastermind group -- sometimes you're too close to it, it's too personal. Plus, the reasons behind your energy constriction aren't always what you think they are! Having outside perspectives and people to ask you tough questions are invaluable in getting to the root of it.
3. Everything you do in your passion-based small business involves a spiritual exchange of energies. There are things on the visible level - like your emails, meeting a client for lunch, writing your newsletter, all of your marketing and communications. With each of these, you're exchanging ideas, inspiration and especially energy, because your energy is attached to everything you do. The same goes for the invisible level - where even if somebody can't see you, they can feel your vibration and intention through your written word (such as through your website or a newsletter).
Believe me, you'll know when your message and marketing are powerfully aligned with your confidence - because everything just gets easier. The barriers seem to collapse in front of you, because you're spiritually aligned with your purpose, your marketing is clear, and you're open to the abundance. Now let it flow!
4. It's a law of nature: we are here to expand. Just as nature is always changing and evolving as the seasons pass - and we ourselves are changing as our cells replenish themselves - so it goes with your business. This is especially true for entrepreneurs -- you're always at the leading edge of expansion, putting yourself out there for the world to see.
When one of my coaching clients feels that something isn't working, I ask them to notice how they shifted to this new leading edge, and look at it again. It could be that your natural expansion needs to happen in one of these three key areas (money, marketing or spirituality). If you can identify it and clear it up, you'll have that crystal clear, clean energy - and your clients will respond to that.
5. Be aware of the abundance around you. Tap into your gratitude on a daily basis, make a list of the signs of abundance and prosperity you see - because they are everywhere. This practice of always looking for evidence of our abundant world actually feeds your energy, helps you find that alignment.
Again, I highly recommend using a coach or mastermind group for this. As I look back over the last couple of years, I've seen how these resources have played a huge role in my success. They are the proverbial "mirror" you need to hold up to your life and your business, so you can see things for what they really are.
6. Dare to connect to that "knowing place" inside of you. I believe that everyone has a place that absolutely knows what you're here to do in this world, that knows when you're in the right place, going in the right direction. You have to dare to show up and say, "Yes, I know. I'm tired of my own story of saying I don't deserve it. Yes, I do know." Listen to your body. Your body talks to you. When you are in your joy, which is being on purpose, your body sends you signals: tingling, giggling, smiling, feeling your heart open, a tug in your solar plexus to move forward or holding your posture taller, are all examples. Slow down and listen to your body talk. Then, you can bring your brilliance forth into the world, to make it a better place by serving your clients well.
7. The universe likes focus & flow. In my experience, I've seen how everything just seems to come easier when there is a good balance between the masculine "focus" and the more feminine "flow." (In fact, this is reflected in my company name, "Joyful Business": joyful represents flow, and business stands for the focus we need.) When I first started out, I was really more about the joy - but what I found was that there is a place for persistence, focus, discipline and systems. Systems actually allow you to express your joy more often, with more abandon!
I recommend that you look for the one client, one program, one marketing strategy and focus, focus, focus on it - get that one thing up and going and work on making it really successful. The flow that comes from that focus will actually lead to more success!
Are your marketing, money and spirituality aligned, and moving in the same direction? What will you do today to tune in and listen to your business, and to your spirit within? What does today's gratitude list look like for you?