- 1). Make the post that holds up the driveway gate as strong as possible. There are several factors that influence the strength of the post, including the depth to which it is sunk in the ground, the materials it is made of, its weight and whether it is supported from outside. Strengthen a post by attaching it to another post on the other side of the driveway that passes over the driveway, above where traffic goes through.
- 2). Reduce the risk of the gate sagging by attaching a brace or wire that extends from the top corner on the hinged side to the bottom corner on the latch side. A gate that consists only of square elements is subject to racking and bending. Including this horizontal brace introduces triangulation into the gate and helps to keep its shape.
- 3). Attach the gate to the post with very strong hinges. Take the width and weight of the gate into account when deciding on what hinges to use. They will be under a lot of stress, especially if the gate is used frequently. Don't skimp on the hinges or you will soon have gate problems.
- 4). Install a strong post with a latch on the opening side of the gate. Position the latch so that, when the gate is closed and latched, the latch is supporting that side of the gate vertically. This will take the pressure off the hinges whenever the gate is closed, and prolong its life.
- 5). Attach a wheel to the bottom of the gate on the side that swings open and closed. This method will only work well if the gate is on a smooth, paved driveway. A wheel on a flat surface can virtually eliminate the lateral stress that is exerted by the gate on the hinges and post.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Publish a Photo Caption in HTML
- Being Realistic About Search Engine Optimization Campaigns
- How to Import Digital Content Into StoryBook Creator
- The growing potential of online brand marketing
- How to Erase My Search History
- Traffic Exchanges-how I Got 2000 Hits in 24 Hours
- How to Remove Win32 Tanatos M Virus
- Dealing With Large Spreadsheets
- Start to Finish Web Site Ideas With the Intention of Toil
- Enterprise Data Hub and Wearable Sensors - Improving Digital Lifestyle
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us