- 1). Buy narrow furniture to take up less space. Overstuffed chairs and sofas take up extra space that can be used for other furnishings. Stick to slender furnishings with little ornamentation.
- 2). Place the sofa against one long wall in the room. Don’t be afraid of putting the sofa close to one corner. Add end tables at the sides of the sofa and put a lamp on each table to provide plenty of light for reading and visiting.
- 3). Situate the TV on the wall opposite the sofa.
- 4). Put a chair close to the sofa within viewing distance of the TV.
- 5). Arrange a chair, ottoman, table and lamp in one corner of the room. Place the chair in the corner diagonally for a different look.
- 6). Arrange the furniture so the foot traffic stays to one side of the room. This avoids the mistake of making your room feel like a maze.
- 7). Use floor lamps to bring warm light to dark corners. The corners in long, narrow rooms often collect darkness and even a low wattage lamp will add a warm glow that looks inviting. Pair the lamp with a small desk or table for a cozy look.
- 8). Arrange rugs so foot traffic is either on or off them. Avoid using a rug that covers only half of the footpath, so your guests won’t have to walk with one foot on the rug and one foot on the floor.
- 9). Use plants to fill empty spaces and corners. Bring color and life into your living room with a tall potted plant in a vase that coordinates your decor.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Fill Windshield Washer Fluid
- How to Repair Brake Pads on a Saturn 2000 SL1
- Instructions on Replacing Alternator Belts
- How to Replace My Brake Pads
- How to Fix Scratches on a 2008 Toyota Corolla
- BMW Auto Repair and Services
- How to Check the Coolant Level on a 2010 700 Grizzly Yamaha ATV
- How to Change the Serpentine Belt on a 2003 B3000 Mazda Truck
- How to Look for Wear or Leaks on Hoses and Clamps in a Ford Mustang
- Engine Specs of a Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us