- 1). Determine your eligibility for your company's pension plan. In some instances, you may only be eligible to be an "invested employee"--meaning you are eligible for a pension upon retirement--if you meet certain criteria. That criteria may be making over a certain amount of money per year and/or years of service. For instance, your company may require that you serve at least five years with the company before being eligible for a pension. Or, they may require that you earn more than $50,000 annually in order to qualify and be a full-time employee.
- 2). Speak with your human resources representative and/or your benefit plan manager. They will advise you on your options for enrollment. In most cases, you are automatically enrolled in the company's pension plan once you meet the criteria for qualification. However, be sure to check with your employer to be sure you are meeting all of those criteria. In addition, check if there are any fees associated with being enrolled in the company's pension plan.
- 3). Determine how much will be deducted from your paycheck for the pension plan. Pension plans operate by an employer investing funds into a financial portfolio. The returns on those investments then help fund the pension plans for the employees. In a defined benefit pension plan, the results of the investments (gains or losses) are irrelevant since the company already has agreed to provide a certain amount to each employee as a part of their pension.
In general, the employer funds this pension plan. However, some plans also require a nominal amount from each eligible employee each paycheck. For these plans, an employee is only eligible for the pension plan if they contribute as outlined by company policy. Check with your employer about their specific requirements.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Non-profit raising event are volunteers
- SEO Services - Door Of Success
- The Way Satellite Internet Delivers a Different System
- How to Create Themes for Outlook 2007
- How to Check an SSL Encryption
- What is a Channel Manager and Should You Get One?
- Get Effective Web Design Services in Milwaukee WI
- Do you know how to work with hidden Wi-Fi networks in Windows?
- Financial Studies Delhi. Unemployed Student Loan Offers A Big Financial Help For Higher Studies
- Is There Any Way to Find Out If Someone Is Checking Your Facebook?
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Business & Finance" Categories
Advertising & Marketing Arts & Crafts Bankruptcy Blogging Biz Business Insurance Business News Careers Corporations Credit Debt Electronic Commerce Economics Entrepreneurship Finance Home Based Business Investing & Financial Markets Loans mortgage Outsourcing Personal Finance Renting & Real Estate Shopping Small Business Social Media Stocks-Mutual-Funds Taxes Wealth Building
Stay With Us