Ingredients in AZO Standard
- According to the manufacturer, AZO Standard contains 95 mg of the active ingredient phenazopyridine hydrochloride. Phenazopyridine, the active ingredient in AZO Standard, has been available for over-the-counter treatment of urinary pain for more than 50 years. AZO Standard Maximum Strength contains 97.5 mg of the active ingredient. The inactive ingredients in AZO Standard are microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized corn starch, hypromellose, PVP (polyvinylpyrrolidone), croscarmellose sodium, polyethylene glycol, carnauba wax and vegetable magnesium stearate. AZO Standard may also contain cornstarch.
AZO Standard Dosage and Safety
- The recommended AZO Standard dosage is two tablets three times a day taken with a glass of water for no more than two days. These pills may be taken with food to avoid stomach upset. People with kidney disease should not take AZO Standard. Women who are pregnant or nursing should speak to a doctor before taking this medication. The recommended dosage of AZO Standard has been established as safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Symptoms Helped by AZO Standard
- AZO Standard treats urinary pain which is commonly described as a burning sensation during urination. Urinary pain is commonly caused by a urinary tract infection which may also cause a frequent desire to urinate. Urinary pain may be caused by other medical conditions including sexually transmitted diseases. AZO Standard may be used for two days to relieve pain until you are able to get in to see your doctor.
Side Effects of AZO Standard Ingredients
- AZO Standard can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to dyes, preservatives and some foods. AZO Standard turns urine a reddish-orange or brown color. This is not harmful but might stain your clothing and other items. Wash your hands after handling tablets. AZO Standard may cause stomach upset which may be relieved by taking your dose with food. Other side effects may include headache and dizziness.
Adverse Reactions to AZO Standard Ingredients
- Contact your doctor immediately if you experience a yellowing of your skin or eyes, a fever, mental confusion, a blue or bluish-purple skin color, any shortness of breath, a skin rash, a sudden decrease in the amount of urine or any swelling of your face, fingers, feet or legs.