- An employee's compensation consists of their base salary, overtime and merit increases. This also includes any incentive compensation such as bonuses.
- This piece of a total rewards package encompasses all medical, vision and dental as well as short- and long-term disability insurance offered by an employer. Flexible spending accounts would also fall under this umbrella.
- Retirement programs offered in total rewards packages may include matching or non-matching 401(k) accounts. In large public corporations, a profit sharing and/or stock purchasing program may be offered as well.
- Employers will often reimburse workers who choose to continue their education, as long as the field of study is relevant to their job duties.
- Standard time off includes paid vacation, as well as sick and personal days.
- Many large employers have the ability to offer employee discounts at cultural institutions and retailers.