- Symptoms of tonsillitis are painful. Tonsillitis causes a sore throat, difficulty swallowing, fever, chills, body aches, swollen glands in the neck, bad breath and laryngitis. These symptoms are so severe that they interrupt daily routine.
- Antibiotics fight the bacterial infection and prevent complications. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen are used to ease the pain and reduce fever. Throat lozenges offer additional pain relief.
- Gargle with a mixture of 1 tbsp. salt in 1 cup of hot water. Antibacterial mouthwash can also be used as a gargle to kill the bacteria causing the infection. Drinking hot or cold liquids will help ease the pain in the throat and keep you hydrated. Eat soft foods in order to avoid irritating the throat and aggravating the symptoms.
- Homeopathy is aimed at reducing the severity of the symptoms caused by tonsillitis. Take capsules or liquid supplements containing the combination of American pokeweed, lignum vitae and paprika.
- Surgery or tonsillectomy is the removal of the tonsils. This is only an option if tonsillitis reoccurs several times a year, breathing is obstructed or swallowing is impossible. Removal of the tonsils should reduce the number of throat infections suffered each year, but does not eliminate throat infections altogether.