- 1). Check the option "strike price," that is, the price at which you have the right to buy the stock. If the strike price is lower than the current price of the stock, you can purchase the stock from the issuing company at the strike price and then sell the stock on the market for an immediate profit. Or you can sell the stock options themselves to a willing buyer, through a broker.
- 2). Contact the issuing company if the strike price is higher than the current value of the stock. If options were issued by your employer, start with the human resources department. Ask if the company is willing to purchase the options from you or to exchange them for new options at a more realistic strike price. If they are incentive stock options, the company may feel that a stock option with a strike price hopelessly above the current price of the stock is not much of an incentive, and may be willing to issue new options -- especially if enough workers demand it.
- 3). Estimate the tax effect of converting your options to restricted stock, that is, stock that cannot be sold in the open market without company permission. If options are converted to restricted stock, you may generate a tax liability as soon as the restrictions lift (a process called "vesting"), since the IRS considers the value of any vested shares of restricted stock to be taxable compensation.
- 4). Calculate the tax effect of an option-to-cash conversion. Stock options are generally not taxable until the employee exercises them. But if you take the cash, you may generate an immediate tax liability.
- 5). Accept an offer from the issuer to exchange your devalued options for something else of value, if the tax consequences of conversion are acceptable.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Backpacking Information on Pakistan
- Family Holiday - Brilliant Choices Which You Might Go For
- Patagonia: A Leading Destination For Hikers And Anglers
- A Historical Guide of Lahore Attractions!
- Mathura - Important Destination
- Tourism in India
- Goa india
- Aruba Rentals To Choose From To Enjoy Your Stay In The Caribbean
- Some of the best tour packages in India
- Travel to Destination Paradise Greece
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Business & Finance" Categories
Advertising & Marketing Arts & Crafts Bankruptcy Blogging Biz Business Insurance Business News Careers Corporations Credit Debt Electronic Commerce Economics Entrepreneurship Finance Home Based Business Investing & Financial Markets Loans mortgage Outsourcing Personal Finance Renting & Real Estate Shopping Small Business Social Media Stocks-Mutual-Funds Taxes Wealth Building
Stay With Us