- A total of four dinner plates are included in every 16-piece dinnerware set. The average size of a dinner plate is 9 to 11 inches across.
- In a 16 piece set, you will find four salad plates. The average size of a salad plate is 6 to 8 inches in diameter.
- The soup bowl is sometimes referred to as a cereal bowl in these less-formal dinnerware settings. These bowls are, generally, 7 to 10 inches across.
- There are four cups (or mugs) included in a 16-piece dinnerware set. In many sets the cups size averages 12 ounces.
- If you want a more formal setting, which includes a cup and saucer instead of a mug, choose a 20-piece dinnerware setting with four place settings. Additional matching pieces, usually purchased separately, may include: creamer, sugar bowl, butter dish, gravy boat, vegetable bowl, platter, coffee pot, tea pot, relish dish, serving tray or cake stand. Many dinnerware patterns are sold in 16-piece sets with options for these additional matching pieces.
- You will also find the basic pieces of your purchased set available, separately. This allows you to replace broken pieces or expand the number of place settings in your current 16-piece dinnerware set.