- 1). Pour a small puddle of water, about 2 inches in diameter, onto a palette. Dab your paintbrush in the water, then dab it in the dark colors of your choosing. Mix dark colors in any fashion you like by swishing a paint-laden brush around in the puddle of water. Continue to use your brush to transfer paint and stir it into the water until your puddle adopts the color you would like it to.
- 2). Sketch the subject of your piece on your canvas with an erasable pencil. Also sketch any peripheral figures that you do not want to be painted over by the background color.
- 3). Decide which direction the light will be shining in your painting. If the light is coming from the upper left-hand corner, then begin painting in that corner and apply your dark paint as lightly as possible. You can ensure that your paint is applied lightly by wiping some of it off your brush and onto your palette. A dryer paintbrush will apply less paint.
- 4). Use a gently criss-crossing motion to work your way from one corner of the painting to the other, filling all your background space with color as you go. As you move further away from your painting's light source, begin using a more saturated brush. You may start by only wiping your brush once instead of twice, then by going over an area more thoroughly and finally by ceasing to wipe your brush at all and applying paint heavily. Unless your picture is a daytime outdoor scene, you may want to mix black paint with your background paint before you paint the darkest portion of your painting. This will give the impression of shade or shadow.
- 5). Paint your subject. This can be done with any method that you as the artist prefer. When you are finished, you may want to darken the background directly surrounding the subject to emphasis the subject further.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Fill Windshield Washer Fluid
- How to Repair Brake Pads on a Saturn 2000 SL1
- Instructions on Replacing Alternator Belts
- How to Replace My Brake Pads
- How to Fix Scratches on a 2008 Toyota Corolla
- BMW Auto Repair and Services
- How to Check the Coolant Level on a 2010 700 Grizzly Yamaha ATV
- How to Change the Serpentine Belt on a 2003 B3000 Mazda Truck
- How to Look for Wear or Leaks on Hoses and Clamps in a Ford Mustang
- Engine Specs of a Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Society & Culture & Entertainment" Categories
Arts & Crafts Business Books & Literature Culture Cultures & Groups Digital Art Comics & Animation Education Environmental Gambling Games History Hobbies & Science Holidays & party Horoscopes Jokes & Riddles Languages Movies Music News Society & Culture Other - Entertainment Performing Arts Photography Radio & Television Reading-Book Reviews Religion & Spirituality sports-Match Visual Arts Writing
Stay With Us