- Although rare, some medical conditions may cause stool eating in dogs. Contributing medical conditions include starvation, severe parasite infections and disorders of the pancreas.
- It's common for puppies to eat stool as they explore their world. This behavior usually disappears after a puppy reaches 6 months, but it may become a habit that continues into adulthood.
- Stool eating in dogs may also be a natural survival instinct passed down through the generations. In the wild, canines may eat feces when food is scarce.
- Stress and anxiety may be another reason why dogs eat their own poop. Dogs that have been punished for defecating inappropriately may become nervous and try to remove their stools.
- Mother dogs eat the stool of their puppies. This is a normal and instinctive behavior that may be an attempt to keep the nest clean and hide the litter's presence from predators.