- 1). Select light paint colors for a small room to make it feel bigger. By painting the walls of a small room light colors, the four walls appear to recede, giving your space a more open and expansive feeling.
- 2). Paint a large room a dark color hue to make the space feel smaller. When selecting paint colors in a large room, use a dark paint color on the walls to create a small and cozy space. Dark paint makes the walls of a large room feel much smaller, so use this paint illusion to its maximum advantage in large spaces in your home.
- 3). Create an accent wall in an oblong room to create a space that appears shorter. To make an oblong room appear shorter, paint the farthest short wall a coordinating accent color. This focal point wall grabs your attention and visually corrects the shape of the room.
- 4). Apply a light paint color to the ceiling to make it feel higher. Ceilings are actually another wall in the room, so their paint color also is important in the overall perceived shape of the room. To create a ceiling that appears higher than it really is, paint the ceiling a light hue to give the illusion of added height.
- 5). Paint the ceiling a dark color to make the ceiling appear lower. Many Victorian homes have 11-foot ceilings. In a case such as this, choose a paint color in a dark hue to make the ceiling height appear much lower to create a cozy space.
- 6). Use a gloss paint finish for rooms with no windows. If your room lacks windows, choose a paint color in a gloss paint finish in a light hue for the walls. Reflective walls give your space an added feeling of much-needed light in a room that lacks natural lighting.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Splint a Dog's Broken Leg
- How to Cut Schnauzer Hair
- Training a Puppy is a Positive Experience
- When Should Dogs Start Agility Training?
- Tips to Make Your Next Vet Visit Easier
- Overcoming Male Dog Breeding Problems
- How to Teach Your Chihuahua Pup to Eliminate on Command
- Common Havanese Health Problems - Keeping Your New Havanese Puppy Healthy And Happy
- Interactive Outdoor Toy Ideas for Dogs
- The Alpha Dog
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us