- The Canadian flag is red with a white square in the middle. There is a red maple leaf inside the white square.
Symbolism of the Maple Leaf
- Prior to the maple leaf, Canadians used the beaver as their emblem. However, in 1860 the Canadians decided to use a maple leaf as their emblem when preparing for a visit from the Prince of Wales.
Significance Maple Leaf Points
- The maple leaf on the Canadian flag has 11 points, but these points do not represent anything in particular.
- Red and white were sanctioned as the official colors of Canada in 1921 by King George V.
- Currently, a pledge to the Canadian flag does not exist.