Window air conditioners are less expensive to purchase than a central air system and they use less energy. Window air cooolingwork best when used to cool a small area, usually one or two rooms of a house. Multiple air cooling can be installed in a home to allow each person in the family to keep his room at the temperature he prefers. Installing a window air conditioner in a vertical sliding window can be done in less than a half hour.
Instructions1. Decide which vertical sliding window you will be using for the air conditioning unit. Choose a window that has an electrical outlet nearby so you can plug in the air cooler. Be sure there are no pieces of furniture or other objects in front of the window that will be interfering with the airflow.
2. Inspect the windowsill to be sure it will be a stable base for the air cooling. If it is cracked or rotten, replace the sill before installing a window air cooler.
3. Raise the window all the way up and install the metal support bracket that came with the air cooling. Check your owner's manual for the exact installation instructions. Use a level to make sure the bracket is straight. Most types of air cooler mounting brackets have a screw in the middle that can be used to make adjustments and level out the bracket.
4. Lift the air cooler up and slide it into the support bracket. Window air conditioners can be quite heavy.Â Air Conditioning Repair Magnolia MS
5. Pull the window down and mark where the window hits the air cooling. Raise the window back up and attach a strip of weatherstripping foam along your marked line. If there are gaps between the sides of the unit and the window frame, pull out the side extensions. Depending on the type of air cooler you have, the side extensions may need to be attached to the wall with wood screws.
6. Apply caulk to the exterior of the home, sealing the edges where the air conditioner meets the window frame. This will keep cool air from leaking out through the gaps while you are running the air conditioner.
Tips & WarningsMeasure your vertical sliding window before shopping for a new air conditioner. Buying the right size air conditioner will minimize the gaps that must be filled in with extensions and foam.
Air Conditioning Repair Magnolia