- 1). Add up the molar mass of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen to find the total molar mass of ethyl alcohol. The approximate molar masses of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen are as follows: oxygen, 16 grams per mole; carbon, 12 grams per mole; and hydrogen, 1 gram per mole.
Ethyl alcohol contains one oxygen, six hydrogens and two carbons, so its molar mass is as follows: 16 + 2 x 12 + 6 x 1 = 46 grams per mole.
- 2). Measure the volume of ethyl alcohol you need using your graduated cylinder. Remember that ethyl alcohol evaporates and is highly flammable, so be sure to do this in a well-ventilated area where the vapor cannot accumulate. Also be sure that no open flames or possible sources of heat or spark are located nearby.
- 3). Multiply this volume by the density of ethyl alcohol at room temperature, 0.789 grams per mL. If you have 10 mL, for example, you would multiply 0.789 x 10 = 7.89 grams of ethyl alcohol.
- 4). Divide the number of grams of ethyl alcohol by the molar mass if you need the number of moles. So 7.89 divided by 46, for example, would give you 0.172 moles of ethyl alcohol in your 10 milliliters.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Plumbing 101 - Do-It-Yourself Fixes for Clogs in The Bathroom
- How to Encourage Blooming of Nikko Hydrangea for Next Year
- Dracaena Cincta Propagation
- Laundry Bin - How To Choose The Best Option For A Family
- How to Decorate a Wood Paneled Wall With a Fireplace
- Several Places You Can Use Decorative Mouldings
- Rose Plant Problems
- Video: How to Decorate a Table With Repurposed Items
- Florida Flame Maple Tree Care Tips
- How To Keep Your Home Looking Fresh
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Society & Culture & Entertainment" Categories
Arts & Crafts Business Books & Literature Culture Cultures & Groups Digital Art Comics & Animation Education Environmental Gambling Games History Hobbies & Science Holidays & party Horoscopes Jokes & Riddles Languages Movies Music News Society & Culture Other - Entertainment Performing Arts Photography Radio & Television Reading-Book Reviews Religion & Spirituality sports-Match Visual Arts Writing
Stay With Us