The full-keyboard Samsung Rogue touch screen phone for Verizon Wireless stands out in a sea of quick-messaging cell phones with its advanced speech capabilities along with its comprehensive feature set.
What’s so innovative about the Rogue’s speech technology?
To help set this relatively affordable phone apart in a cutthroat competitive marketplace, Samsung Rogue users can dictate their text messages as well as access a variety of applications and services with simple voice commands.
The Samsung Rogue’s message dictation feature is powered by VoiceMode speech-to-text technology from Nuance Communications. VoiceMode is an automated dictation feature designed for mobile phones to quickly convert the spoken phrase into text and transcribe messages more quickly than typing.
In addition, Samsung and Verizon Wireless want to earn your cell phone dollar because of its LED display that Verizon says “results in one of the brightest and clearest displays on a mobile phone in the United States”.
The Rogue has a full QWERTY keyboard, a 3.1-inch wide-screen display, a full HTML Web browser and a 3-megapixel camera. This puppy also has threaded messaging (like Google’s Gmail) and one-touch access to popular social networking widgets such as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube and Photobucket.
When you lock yourself into a two-year service contract, Verizon Wireless is pricing the Samsung Rogue at the pricey $199.99 level. But with a $100 online discount, the Samsung Rogue can be yours at the more affordable price of $99.99.
Full Feature List
- 3.1-inch LED touch screen with 480x800 pixels and 262,000 colors
- Slide-out full-QWERTY keyboard
- Voice commands powered by Nuance Mobile from Nuance Communications: advanced speech recognition with dictation, voice dial, digit dial readout, menu readout and text message readout
- Widget tool bar with one-touch access to Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube and Photobucket
- 3-megapixel camera with flash and camcorder
- Dedicated camera and video key
- Camera: self-timer (off or 3, 5 or 10 seconds), color effects (normal, black and white, antique, negative or aqua), preview mode, resolution adjustment, digital zoom (up to 10 steps) and various shot modes (multi-shot, panaroma, mosiac or frame)
- Music player, sync music from your PC to phone and create and manage playlists
- Up to 16 gigabytes of optional removable memory
- Bluetooth for short-range wireless communications (i.e. for a wireless headset)
- Full HTML Web browsing
- Mobile email, mobile instant messaging, corporate email and chat capable
- Download games, ringtones and more
- Text, picture, video and voice messaging with threaded messaging feature
- Visual voice mail
- Family locator
- Mobile broadband capable
- Download software upgrades over the air
- Personal organizer: alarm clock, world clock, calendar, calculator with converter, stop watch, notepad, sketch pad, timer
- Phonebook with up to 1,000 entries with multiple contacts
- In-case-of-emergency contacts
- Embedded ringtones, vibrating alerts and silent mode
- TTY capable for the deaf and hard of hearing
- E911 capable
In addition, the Samsung Rogue features GPS for turn-by-turn directions, a 3.5-millimeter headset jack, a bilingual interface (English and Spanish), airplane mode, 13 lines in portrait mode and six lines in landscape mode, a SAR radiation rating of 1.36 at the head and 0.673 at the body as well as M4 hearing aid compatibility.
The battery on the Samsung Rogue is rated at up to 4.7 hours of talk time and up to 12.5 days of standby time when not in use at all. This rating almost but does not make the About.com list of our best cell phone batteries.
The Samsung Rogue measures in at 4.29 inches high by 2.17 inches wide by 0.65 of an inch in diameter, which does not make the About.com list of our best slim cell phones.
The phone weighs in at 4.94 ounces with a standard battery, which does not make the About.com list of our best lightweight cell phones.
Differentiation in the Marketplace
Along with being a full-featured quick-messaging cell phone at a relatively affordable price, the Samsung Rogue clearly differentiates itself with advanced Nuance speech technology (i.e. to dictate your text messages) with threaded messaging and a bright LED display.