- 1). Turn your BMW off and remove the key from the ignition.
- 2). Slide your hand below the steering wheel column to locate the diagnostic port. The surface of the column is slightly raised over the port.
- 3). Pry the cover off the diagnostic port.
- 4). Bend the paper-clip into the shape of a "U," and push the its edges into the diagnostic port.
- 5). Watch the dash of the BMW. The "check engine" light should blink. Make a note of how many times it blinks before a pause. For example, if the light shows a pattern of "Blink-Blink-Pause," "Blink-Pause," "Blink-Blink-Blink-Pause" and a final "Blink", the code is 2131.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time