- 1). Choose a room in your home to be the safe room. Preferably, you will want to choose a comfortable room with only one entrance that is easily accessible from all areas of the house and far from the ground floor entrances. This room should have space for sleeping, a closet and plenty of space for the family to hide.
- 2). Install an external security system. Place a monitoring station with internal activation in your safe room, possibly in a closet. This will give you plenty of warning about home invaders or incoming problems. This is the single most important part of your safe room, as the security system can protect you by its presence alone, and can quickly alert the police to your situation, one of your most important lifesaving tools.
- 3). Install a heavy exterior door to your safe room and change the door frame to provide extra security. Heavier door frames will allow you to put stronger locks in place, and will be able to withstand heavy force from outside. Attach deadbolts and doorstops to your door.
- 4). Acquire a heavy safe and have it installed in the floor or wall of your safe room. If desired, keep a gun or Taser in your safe, along with valuable papers and identity information. Keep a cell phone or emergency cell phone in this room at all times.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- RV Insurance Policy Basics
- Some Tips on How to Find Cheap Auto Insurance
- DUI Auto Insurance - Don"t Drink and Drive!
- Look for the Best Cheap Auto Insurance Online Option
- How To"s Of DWI Auto Insurance
- Auto Insurance - 11 Tips For Better Auto Insurance Quotes
- Is It Okay to Drop Collision and Comprehensive Insurance?
- Compare Auto Insurance Companies - The Fast and Easy Way to Compare Auto Insurance Companies
- State of Ohio Car Insurance Law
- Get Better Rates on Your Caravan Insurance
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us