- 1). Set transparent written guidelines in advance, allowing both parties to review the debate rules. Debaters can become belligerent if they feel the rules are unfair, so it's very important that both sides know what to expect.
- 2). Test all sound equipment ahead of time and make sure each speaker's podium is visible from the crowd. A good moderator will not only conduct the debate itself without prejudice, he or she will set up the stage with fairness in mind, making sure one speaker is not at a technical disadvantage.
- 3). Recruit a separate individual for timing, as recommended by the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) American Collection Educator's website, with the timekeeper signaling the moderator rather than directly addressing individual debaters.
- 4). Conduct the debate with general politeness and decency in mind. While speaking order, sound equipment and other technical items are important, above all else debaters need to be cordial, addressing only opposing ideas and never insulting the individual.
- 5). Conduct the debate at an appropriate venue. In order for a debate to be successful, the debaters should project their viewpoints to a wider audience. The International Debate Education Association states that "public debates should be carried out in a spirit of dedication to the public good," with such public good only being possible when the public audience is directly affected by and involved in the issue at hand.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Fill Windshield Washer Fluid
- How to Repair Brake Pads on a Saturn 2000 SL1
- Instructions on Replacing Alternator Belts
- How to Replace My Brake Pads
- How to Fix Scratches on a 2008 Toyota Corolla
- BMW Auto Repair and Services
- How to Check the Coolant Level on a 2010 700 Grizzly Yamaha ATV
- How to Change the Serpentine Belt on a 2003 B3000 Mazda Truck
- How to Look for Wear or Leaks on Hoses and Clamps in a Ford Mustang
- Engine Specs of a Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Law & Legal & Attorney" Categories
Stay With Us