- Rocking chairrocking chair and flag image by Jeffrey Zalesny from Fotolia.com
Some furniture never goes out of style, and the classic rocking chair is a good example. Perfect for the front porch as well as the living room or baby's room, there is something soothing and relaxing about rocking back and forth to quiet stress or to calm a child. Rocking chairs come in all types of styles and colors to match any decor.
Indoor Wooden Rocking Chairs
- Indoor Wood Rocking Chairarmless rocking chair image by Scott Williams from Fotolia.com
An indoor wooden rocking chair can be made from maple, walnut, pine, mahogany or a host of other woods. Finished to a satin sheen or a polished glow, they are made for indoor use and are treated like any other fine piece of furniture. Colonial or Mission styles can be found at furniture stores and may have a stenciled or painted decoration on the headrest. With a curved back and a seat that can be fitted with decorative pads, a wooden rocking chair might also have armrests on the sides.
Outdoor Rocking Chairs
- Outdoor Rocking Chairrocking chair image by Photoeyes from Fotolia.com
Outdoor rocking chairs are exposed to the weather and need to be made differently than indoor rockers. Teak and wicker are used to build rocking chairs; or any type of wood can be used, then covered with an exterior paint in any color you choose. Polyresin is a type of plastic used today for rocking chairs molded out of one piece of material. Adirondack rockers are the choice of some people, while the traditional Colonial rocking chair suits others.
Upholstered Rocking Chairs
- Upholstered Glider Rockeroak glide rocking chair image by James Phelps from Fotolia.com
Upholstered rocking chairs are more complex than a traditional wooden rocker. Covered padding and springs are included in the construction, and the chair is set on metal gliders that can move back and forth in addition to rocking. More options in contemporary design are available in upholstered rocking chairs with rounded or straight backs, wood or fabric sides, and various materials to match any room.
Rocking Chairs for Children
- Rocking chairs for children offer a way for small ones to join the grownups or to share with their own friends. Almost any type of rocking chair that you see in full size can be found for children. Many woodworkers, as well as children's furniture manufacturers, build small-scale models of furniture for kids.