Pell & FEA Grants

104 41

    Pell Grants

    • Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education, a Pell Grant does not require you to repay the money. As of April 2011, you can receive up to $5,550 per academic year for undergraduate studies. In certain cases, the Pell Grant program also provides support for graduate students enrolled in teacher certification programs. Grant administrators base the amount of your award on financial need, your enrollment status, the cost to attend your school and the length of time you plan to stay in school. You can use Pell Grant funding to enroll in programs leading to a teaching certificate or bachelor's or associate degrees.

    FEA Trust Scholarship

    • The FEA awards its Trust Scholarship to the children of working or retired FEA members. You must be a high school senior to apply, and you must plan to pursue a career in education to qualify. Program guidelines require you to have at least a 3.0 grade point average and a history of extracurricular activities. You can use proceeds from the scholarship to pay for tuition, school fees and/or books, and you can attend a vocational school, college or university. As of April 2011, you can receive up to $2,000 in funding through the Trust Scholarship program.

    FEA Education Staff Professional Scholarship

    • If you hold membership in the FEA as an education staff professional, you may qualify for the FEA ESP Scholarship program. The program can help pay for skills-training coursework in an educational field or programs leading to a professional education credential. You must hold membership in the FEA for a minimum of three years before applying for the scholarship, and you can receive up to $1,000 in funding, as of April 2011. Scholarship guidelines require you to continue working in public education, and you must enroll in a field of study that leads to a job within the FEA bargaining unit.

    Robert G. Porter Scholars Program

    • If you hold membership in the FEA and the American Federation of Teachers, you and your children may qualify for the Robert G. Porter Scholars Program. Members of AFT can receive one-time grants of up to $1,000, as of April 2011, and their children can receive up to $8,000 over four years. Dependents must be high school seniors to qualify, and their parent must hold membership in the AFT for a minimum of one year before applying. To apply for the member grant, you must hold membership in the AFT for a minimum of one year before applying, and you must enroll in coursework within your field of work.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.