- 1). Pick up some fresh meat at your local butcher shop. You do not need the leanest, most high-quality cuts; a few bits of muscle meat, some fatty bits and organ meats will be fine. Beef, chicken, turkey, pork and fish are all appropriate choices.
- 2). Prepare the brown rice and let it steam in a pot while you prepare the meat.
- 3). Chop the meat into bite-sized pieces with a kitchen knife.
- 4). Steam a fresh mix of vegetables — for example, carrots and squash — with a vegetable steamer or boil them in a pot. Dogs cannot eat onions, so avoid onions at all costs.
- 5). Mix all of your ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Ideally, your food will be 60% meat, 20% veggies and 20% rice or potatoes.
- 6). Split the food into single servings and seal each serving in a freezer bag. Place these bags in the freezer to lengthen the life of your supplies.
- 7). Pull one of your serving bags out of the fridge and let it defrost for an hour. Once the food is soft, place it in your dog’s bowl.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time