Color Perfect Red Shelf
Angela Daniels of The Guilty Crafter wanted a customized display shelf for her son's treasures. She used liquid Rit dye to create a unique piece and so can you!
Supplies You Will Need
- Wood Shelf or Display Box
- Rit liquid dye (1 bottle)
- Rit Dye Color Perfect Kit sponge tip applicator
- Plastic tablecover
- Rubber gloves
Select Your Color
Use any color Rit Dye you want or create a custom color by mixing two different dyes.
You can add a touch of black dye to the dye bath to make the color darker and richer. Color used for this project is Cherry Red.
Step By Step Directions
- Select an unpainted wood shelf, display box or other home accessory.
- Sand the piece lightly on all surfaces to remove any finish that will interfere with dye absorption. Be sure to carefully remove all the dust before dyeing. A microfiber cleaning cloth works great for this.
- Cover your work table with a plastic table cover to protect finishes from accidental spills and stains.
- Slip on disposable gloves to protect your hands.
- Apply undiluted liquid Rit Dye to the accessory. Liquid Rit Dye works just like wood stain basically so it's a very fast process. The Rit Color Perfect Kit comes with a handy sponge applicator. You can also use a sponge paint brush. Tip: You may find it helpful to pour a bit of the undiluted dye into a disposable cup or bowl for easier painting.
- Allow the dyed accessory to dry completely - overnight is best - before hanging or using.
Visit The Rit Studio for more information on this project and other ideas using Rit Dye.
Disclosure: All projects, techniques and photos included here are either the sole property of Rit Dye or are paid for content where Rit owns the rights to distribute it to promote Rit’s products. We hereby grant D106 the rights to use this content.