- 1). Under the hood, disconnect the grounding cable from the negative lead of the BMW battery. Use a 10 millimeter wrench to loosen the clamp connected to the negative battery lead. Remove the cable from the negative lead completely. Replace the clamp when your work is finished or if you need to operate the vehicle before replacing the stereo.
- 2). Remove the upper dash trim panel. The upper panel houses the dash vents and can be removed using a trim panel tool. Pry the panel from the bottom, then carefully unclip the perimeter of the panel by hand. Pull the power supply wire attached to the hazard switch from the button to completely remove the panel.
- 3). Remove the two screws on the upper horizontal plane of the lower trim panel with a Phillips-head screwdriver. Pull the dash panel that surrounds the stereo away from the dashboard.
- 4). Remove the two screws on either side of the stereo deck using a Phillips-head screwdriver. Pull the stereo from its dock far enough to reach the wire connections in the rear.
- 5). Disconnect the wire groups at the rear of the stereo. Pull the wire groups by the plastic binders, not by the wires themselves. The groups can be disconnected by hand, in any order. Pull the stereo unit completely from the dash stereo dock.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time