- 1). Choose a live model or a photograph. A photo may be easier for beginners. It is possible to make a photocopy of the photo in the size you want and then place it against the canvas with a sheet of carbon paper under it. To transfer the image to canvas you can trace over the photocopy with a pencil, and the carbon paper will transfer your lines to the canvas.
- 2). Put your canvas on an easel and have your model sit in front of you, if you are using a model. Put onto your palette colors that are similar to your model's skin tone, clothing and background. Put your brushes into a cup of water to soften the bristles. Fill in your painting with colors that relate to your photograph or model. This will serve as a base for your work.
- 3). Start shading the face within your portrait to make it look realistic. You can do shading by taking two brushes; use a skin tone shade and another paint color that is slightly darker. While shading in the darker areas use the lighter shade to blend the two colors to create a realistic look. Repeat this process for all aspects of the face.
- 4). Create hair for your painting by using a fan brush to add depth and a flowing effect. Use a detail brush to create eyebrows, lashes, make up and filling in the eyes. Make sure to use shades that are light and dark to create a realistic look with depth. Use your model or photo as a reference point as you are working.
- 5). Let your work dry thoroughly and make corrections as needed. Acrylic paint dries in less than 10 minutes, so you will not have to wait very long at all. Making changes to your piece is easy, simply go over your preexisting work with more paint as needed.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Publish a Photo Caption in HTML
- Being Realistic About Search Engine Optimization Campaigns
- How to Import Digital Content Into StoryBook Creator
- The growing potential of online brand marketing
- How to Erase My Search History
- Traffic Exchanges-how I Got 2000 Hits in 24 Hours
- How to Remove Win32 Tanatos M Virus
- Dealing With Large Spreadsheets
- Start to Finish Web Site Ideas With the Intention of Toil
- Enterprise Data Hub and Wearable Sensors - Improving Digital Lifestyle
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Society & Culture & Entertainment" Categories
Arts & Crafts Business Books & Literature Culture Cultures & Groups Digital Art Comics & Animation Education Environmental Gambling Games History Hobbies & Science Holidays & party Horoscopes Jokes & Riddles Languages Movies Music News Society & Culture Other - Entertainment Performing Arts Photography Radio & Television Reading-Book Reviews Religion & Spirituality sports-Match Visual Arts Writing
Stay With Us