How to Obtain the 1960 Military Transfer Records for My Father

104 36

    By Mail

    • 1). Obtain a Standard Form 180. This can be done in several ways, including downloading a form from The National Archives website. The form also may be obtained by going to veterans service organizations or Veterans Administration offices. The National Personnel Records Center also has copies of SF-180, and the records center may be contacted by writing to: The National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, MO 63132.

    • 2). Fill out the SF-180. Include as much information as possible on the form. You will need to know basic information such as the serviceman's name when in the military, Social Security number, date of birth and place of birth. You'll also need to know more detailed information about the veteran's time in the service, such as the military branch, the date he entered the service and the date he left the service.

    • 3). Check the boxes of the specific military files you are requesting. You may request all of the documents in the veteran's official military file.

    • 4). Check the box stating who the person is requesting the military documents. Only the veteran or the veteran's next of kin may request transfer records or any other type of military records. If you are the next of kin, you must include proof of the veteran's death, such as a copy of a death certificate.

    • 5). Sign the document and look at the accompanying chart to see where you must either send or fax the request.

    By Letter

    • 1). If SF-180 is not available, send a letter requesting the military transfer records. The letter must contain information that will allow the National Personnel Records Center to identify the correct set of military records.

    • 2). Include basic information such as the veteran's name used while in the service, a Social Security number, a service number if available, branch of service, the dates served, and when and where the veteran was born.

    • 3). In the letter, write the purpose of the request. While this is not required, it is helpful to the National Personnel Records Center, according to The National Archives website.

    • 4). Send the letter to: The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, MO 63132.


    • 1). Go to the eVetRecs website to request military personnel records online.

    • 2). Click on the "Launch eVetRecs" link on the right side of the page. A new window will open.

    • 3). Enter the information that is required to create a form and continue to follow the system's steps. Through the steps, you must select which documents you wish to obtain, as well as why the request is being made. During the third step, there is a comments box where you can add any additional requests or provide information you think may be helpful to the National Personnel Records Center.

    • 4). Once the request is completed, print the signature verification area. Sign and date this form. If a printer is inaccessible, follow the directions provided by the system that explains how to submit a hand signature.

    • 5). Mail or fax the signature verification form, along with provided proof of death if applicable, to the National Personnel Records Center within 20 days of filling out your request online.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.