Prunes for Constipation
- Help keep constipation and stomach pains at bay by incorporating prunes into a regular, healthy diet.
- Prunes contain a mild, natural colonic stimulant. Should stomach pain and constipation develop, eating stewed prunes is a natural alternative to taking a chemical laxative.
- Fresh, stewed, and dried prunes are not just foods for the elderly. Eating these foods along with other healthy foods helps promote digestive health.
- In addition to being good for digestion, prunes contain a variety of vitamins and may help lower cholesterol.
- Colonic stimulants, including chemical laxatives, can cause dehydration. Be careful when using prunes to treat constipation. Eating excessive amounts of the fruit may cause dehydration.