- 1). Purchase your blue and gold macaw a proper cage to live in. A cage needs to be a minimum of 60 inches high, 36 inches wide and 36 inches deep. Metal bars on the cage must be 1 inch apart or less.
- 2). Place various perches inside the cage for your blue and gold macaw. Perches are beneficial to macaws because they allow them to exercise their feet, which aids in preventing arthritis.
- 3). Lay cage paper on the droppings tray to catch droppings and make cleaning easier. Place a metal grate over the top of the droppings tray to keep the macaw from coming into contact with droppings.
- 4). Attach bird toys to the cage to keep your blue and gold macaw occupied. Pet supply stores carry bird toys that are appropriate for macaws. Change the toys out often to prevent boredom.
- 5). Provide your blue and gold macaw a variety of food, including seed, fresh pellets, vegetables and fruits, such as pears, grapes and carrots. Keep a supply of fresh water available in a water dish. Empty the water dish and refill it daily with clean water. Do not place food or water dishes under perches or they may become contaminated with droppings.
- 6). Take your blue and gold macaw out of its cage daily and play with it. Macaws need that human interaction to stay healthy and happy.
- 7). Clean out your blue and gold macaw's cage and disinfect it often. Throw away toys, perches and dishes when they get damaged or worn out and replace them with new ones.
- 8). Mist your blue and gold macaw with water or provide lukewarm water for it to bathe. Remove the water after it has been used.
- 9). A macaw's toenails will need trimmed occasionally to prevent them from becoming too sharp. A professional bird groomer should be used for nail trimming, but owners can use an emery board to file down the points between visits with the groomer.
Take your blue and gold macaw to the vet at least once a year for a check up. If your macaw shows any signs of illness, such as feather plucking, lack of appetite or runny stools, consult with your vet.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time