- Since plant stanol esters are not absorbed by the body, but are excreted, they are considered extremely safe and have not exhibited any side effects.
- Benecol works in the digestive tract to block the absorption of cholesterol. This lowers the total cholesterol level as well as the bad cholesterol level.
- Benecol can begin working to lower cholesterol in as little as two weeks. Users can have a simple blood test performed to see if cholesterol levels have lowered.
- Statins are prescription medications that prevent the liver from making cholesterol and these can be taken in conjunction with benecol.
- A serving of benecol is considered 1 tablespoon and the maximum benefit is gained from consuming 6 tablespoons per day. No additional cholesterol lowering benefit will be realized past this number of servings.