- The theme of TED Talks is "Ideas Worth Spreading." This interdisciplinary networking conference began in 1984 with the aim of bringing together people from diverse fields to discuss and share the cutting-edge work they do with others. The conference ultimately hosts individuals who have ideas or work, which can promote positive change in the world. The video archives of speakers became available for free viewing on the organization's website in 2006, and later became viewable in other languages. This spurred the growth of the conference into an internationally recognized organization.
Answer with Care
- Attending a TED conference is a highly exclusive privilege. You must apply to attend by completing a registration form for the conference, which can be found on the organization's website. It is recommended that you spend at least an hour on the application because how you answer the questionnaire determines your eligibility for attending the conference. Answer the questions about your accomplishments and involvement with your community carefully and concisely, providing detailed information about your favorable qualifications.
- The TED organizers prefer to include individuals who have concrete accomplishments, regardless of whether they have a list of credentials. Be bold in listing what you have achieved, as this may help you get a seat at the conference. Include all of your talents when describing yourself and your work. Being a multifaceted and gifted individual is exactly the kind of person TED organizers look for when awarding seats to applicants of the TED conference.
- It is also strongly recommended that you compose your responses to the questionnaire offline. Type your answers into a word processing program so you can cut and paste them into the proper place on the registration form. Save a copy of the form before you submit it, just in case it gets lost. Take a screen shot of your completed form, or email yourself a copy of the completed application.
- Seats for a TED conference sell out a year in advance. If you would like to attend the conference, keep in mind that the application period is open for a month. Get a head start on applying, rather than waiting until the end of the month. Also, make sure all of the links to your articles, photos and blog are functional before submitting your registration form.