Application to Trustee
- The first step in the process to open a bank account under Chapter 13 bankruptcy is to request permission from the trustee.
Approval from Trustee
- If the trustee approves your request to open a bank account you can proceed accordingly. Provided you are current with your Chapter 13 plan payments, the trustee will likely approve the request.
No Approval from Trustee
- If the trustee does not approve your request, file a motion with the bankruptcy court seeking approval to open a bank account. The judge makes the final decision in this matter.
Provide Trustee Account Information
- Once the account is opened, you need to provide the trustee with complete information about it, including the account number.
- Normally a debtor can obtain permission to open a bank account while in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy within a matter of a week.