- 1). Look at the idea of "manifest destiny." Manifest destiny is a phrase coined in 1845 in an editorial, which argued that the United States had the right to expand and become an empire. This idea is key in the Spanish-American War because the war ended with the United States controlling both Cuba and the Philippines.
- 2). Study 19th-century U.S. foreign policy, especially in relation to manifest destiny and the United States' role as an expansionary power at the time.
- 3). Examine the role of journalism in the years before the war. A major factor that swayed U.S. public opinion in favor of entering the Spanish-American War was the alleged brutality of the Spanish as they quelled an uprising in Cuba. These allegations were made by journalists who reported from their Havana hotels or even from southern Florida.
- 4). Investigate the prewar tension between the United States and Spain. One example is President Cleveland's 1895 announcement that the United States might take action if the Cuban uprising didn't get under control.
- 5). Analyze the U.S. political reaction to the 1898 explosion of the U.S.S. Maine, which was determined (incorrectly) to be caused by a mine. This was the alleged cause of the war, but examine this in terms of the other factors in order to show that it was more of a scapegoat than an actual cause.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- Get The Legal Help Needed After An Auto Accident From An Injury Lawyer
- Kind And Helpful Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer
- The Consumer Protection Act 1987 - Guide to Claims For Faulty Products
- Making the Most of Personal Injury Compensation Claims
- Choosing Lawyers Dealing With a Car Accident or Personal Injury Cases
- Benefits for Social Security Through Disability Attorney Charlotte
- Personal Injury Lawyer Help for Medical Malpractice
- Injury case by case: Personal Injury in details
- Get Justice From Wrongful Death Attorney
- In Indianapolis Bankruptcy Attorney Advises On The Legal Proceedings Of A Bankruptcy Case
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Law & Legal & Attorney" Categories
Stay With Us