- 1). Pull the old line off the open face reel.
- 2). Mount the open face reel to a spinning rod. The line guides on these rods are smallest near the tip and largest near the handle.
- 3). Open the reel's bail by flipping it upward.
- 4). Put the line through the tip of the rod, then through each line guide as you work toward the reel.
- 5). Wrap the fishing line around the reel's spool and tie an overhand knot -- the kind you use to knot your shoelaces -- to connect the line to the spool.
- 6). Close the bail.
- 7). Reel line onto the open face reel until it is 1/8 inch below the top of the spool.
- 8). Cut the line so one foot of it hangs from the end of the rod.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time