The only thing you need to be careful of as a single mother is not looking after yourself.
You are not a machine, you are a human being and as such you need to take some time out for yourself now and then.
Tips on how to create balance in your life: Establish a routine
- A schedule is a must for a single mother family as it ensures that all the necessary tasks get done.
- Schedule a time to do the weekly tasks such as the laundry, preparing meals for the week and grocery shopping and stick to it.
- Enlist the help of your children if they are old enough, as this will make them feel included and will also teach them to be organized.
- Make eating dinner together as a family at a certain time every night part of your routine and use the time to spend some quality time with your children.
- Get your children involved in doing chores from a young age - it will teach them independence, responsibility and discipline.
- Instead of just giving them pocket-money, attach a monetary value to each chore they do.
This will teach them accountability and the value of money.
- Involve them in setting up the list, and change the chores monthly so that they all get a chance at doing various tasks.
- This will take some of the stress off of you and make for a happier mom, which they will learn to appreciate.
- As much as you would like to, you cannot do everything yourself, even if you are a great single mother.
- If you do not get to something like washing the dishes after dinner one night do not stress about it, do it the next day.
- Take care of your health; you cannot look after your children if you are not in the best of health yourself.
- Even if you are a struggling single mother, there is plenty of help which you can get if you just ask, and it need not cost you money.
- Make friends with other single mothers in the area and arrange for play-dates at each others houses, which will give you each some free time.
- Take turns in baby-sitting for each other so that you can go out and have some fun once in a while, maybe even go on a date.
- Make sure that you set aside some time for yourself to just be still, relax and rejuvenate.
- This can be something as simple as having a nice long soak in a bath after the children are in bed or getting up an hour earlier in the morning before they are awake.
This is really not so! In actual fact it is exactly the opposite - if you do not take care of yourself you won't be able to be the best parent you can be!