- Viewing a PowerPoint Slideshow (PPS) file requires certain software and hardware. On computers with the correct software, PPS files open automatically when double-clicked or executed. If you receive a message asking you which program to use to open a PPS file, your computer doesn't meet PPS requirements. A few quick changes can make your system PPS compatible.
- Download and install the PowerPoint Viewer if you want to view PPS files. The PowerPoint Viewer is a free tool provided by Microsoft (see Resources) to view PPS files without the need for the Microsoft Office Suite. The tool is compatible with Windows 2000 and higher. The PowerPoint Viewer cannot be used to edit PPS files.
Microsoft Office PowerPoint
- You can view and edit PPS files by using Microsoft Office PowerPoint. The exact requirements for Microsoft Office PowerPoint depend on your operating system and the Microsoft Office PowerPoint version you install. Microsoft currently sells Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010, which require Windows XP or higher.
If you already have an earlier version of Microsoft Office installed, you can use the included PowerPoint software to view PPS files. If you want to view PPS files created by PowerPoint 2007 or later, the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack is required (see Resources). This software allows earlier versions of Microsoft Office to view and edit Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 files.
- PowerPoint 2010 requires a 500 MHz or faster processor and at least 256 MB of RAM, though 512 MB is recommended. To install PowerPoint 2010, 1.5 GB of hard drive space is required. To view and create PPS files, a 1024 pixel by 576 pixel resolution display or higher is required. For graphics hardware acceleration, a DirectX 9.0c graphics card with at least 64 MB of video memory is required.
The PowerPoint Viewer requires 5 MB of hard drive space to install and approximately 26 MB of space to download. A 800 pixel by 600 pixel resolution display or higher is also required to view PPS files.
- Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later is required to use Microsoft Office 2007 and higher. If you do not have Service Pack 3 installed, you can only use Microsoft Office 2003 or earlier to view PPS files. For earlier versions of the Windows operating system, Microsoft Office 2000 and earlier are recommended for viewing PPS files.