- Online colleges that offer degrees in medical billing are tailored toward individuals who want a degree but can't attend a traditional college. Online colleges let you choose when you want to study, complete coursework and take exams. By using an interactive Internet interface, you can still chat with other students and ask instructors questions. Some online colleges even offer extracurricular activities through online social networks.
- Students completing a degree program in medical billing at an online college will graduate with an associate degree of Science in Medical Billing and Coding. The degree name varies from college to college, but the program is similar at each college. The goals of the program are to provide you with a foundation in medical billing and coding and to prepare you for an advanced degree, such as a bachelor's of Science in Health Services Administration. If you do enter a bachelor's degree program, you will take courses to prepare you to become an administrator within a health care organization.
- Online medical billing programs usually take two years to complete, but some accelerated programs have a completion time of 18 months or less. Completion time also depends on whether you are attending full time or part time.
- Most online medical billing programs require you to take some basic health courses and some technical courses, including anatomy, disease processes, physiology, microbiology, medical terminology, information technology systems, insurance claims/billing and coding system procedures, to prepare you for a career in medical billing.
- Job opportunities with an associate degree of Science in Medical Billing and Coding include working in a private health organization, such as a clinic or medical emergency center, or in the public health sector, such as a county hospital or regional medical center.
- Online colleges offering associate degrees in medical billing include Colorado Technical University Online, American Intercontinental University Online, Berkeley College---Online and Ashworth University. Tuition varies from college to college, and most programs offer an internship program before graduation.