- A country nursery can be relaxing and comforting.babies crib image by jedphoto from Fotolia.com
When you live in a traditionally designed home, a country nursery can add a touch of old-world style. As you plan the decor for your baby's room, consider elements that will bring in the feeling of a country home while adding functionality to the space. Choose items that will be suitable for the first year of your child's life and which can be repurposed as he or she grows older.
- For the clean, open feeling of a whitewashed country house, use white paint for the walls of your nursery. The white base will reflect the available light to create a bright feeling and will serve as a blank canvas for other design elements.
- In a country home, furniture is often made in a warm, natural hue. To recreate that feeling in your nursery, look for a crib, rocking chair and changing table in a nonpainted wood with a simple finish. Pine and oak are both sturdy candidates and each brings a different feeling to the room.
Borders or Wallpaper
- To add touches of country flowers and plants, use wallpaper or borders. Avoid overwhelming the room with flowers by wallpapering only the upper half of the walls; cover the bottom half in white wainscoting. If you'd prefer an easier project, use stencils or a stick-on border to make a simple flower pattern along the top or middle of the wall.
- For a nursery that has touches of tradition, look for simple country antiques. You might choose antique toys to display on shelves or look for old metal watering cans or vases to act as both art and storage. If you can find them, antique children's books make decor items that add to the country atmosphere; they can be framed or set open on shelves in a nursery.
- Cozy accents in warm colors create a warm, homey atmosphere in your nursery. Look for area rugs to cover hardwood floors or to place on top of carpet and find an afghan or blanket to toss over the back of a rocking chair. A bushel basket gives an instant sense of a country home and acts as additional storage space.
- If you are looking to design a nursery that has a rustic country feeling, you can use wooden items with a weathered finish. You can find this type of piece at antique stores or you can purchase new items that have been distressed to appear worn. Choose this type of wood only for items that the baby will not come into contact with, such as shelving and cupboards, as it can have rough edges.