- 1). Open the Avalon's hood and remove the lid from the under-hood junction block -- the plastic block to the right of the battery. Turn the lid over to view the fuse map. Locate the "F-Pump" fuse on the lid and pull that fuse from the block (save the fuse for re-installation).
- 2). Start the Avalon and allow it to run until it shuts down -- this process bleeds all of the pressure from the fuel lines, allowing you to work on the fuel system safely. Open the fuel filler door and remove the fuel cap. Leave the cap off throughout the repair.
- 3). Loosen and remove the negative battery cable from the battery, using a ratchet and socket.
- 4). Insert your hand under the center of the rear seat cushion and pull up on the tab. Pull the seat up and out of the Avalon. Sit the seat in a safe location to avoid it from getting splashed with gasoline.
- 5). Locate the fuel pump cover (the metal circle in the center of where the seat used to be). Loosen and remove the bolts holding the cover to the Avalon's floor board and pull the cover from the floor, exposing the fuel pump assembly below.
- 6). Unplug the wiring harness that plugs into the top of the fuel pump by pressing the locking button and pulling the harness from the pump.
- 7). Loosen and remove the bolts that secure the fuel tank protector (the metal component on top of the fuel pump), using a ratchet and socket. Pull the tank protector off the fuel pump.
- 8). Loosen the hose clamp that secures the rubber fuel line to the fuel pump outlet, then pull the hose from the pump. Use caution, as there may be residual fuel in the lines.
- 9). Loosen and remove the bolts that secure the fuel tank vent tube set plate (the metal disc on top of the fuel pump) and pull it away from the pump. Pull the pump from the fuel tank. Use caution not to get any fuel on the vehicles upholstery. If the gasket remains installed on the fuel tank, pull the gasket off, as well.
Place a new fuel pump module gasket (included with the fuel pump module) on the gas tank and place the new fuel pump module into the gas tank.
Sit the fuel tank vent tube set plate on top of the fuel pump and tighten the bolts to 35 inch-pounds, using a torque wrench and a socket.
Push the fuel hose onto the outlet valve on the new fuel pump module and tighten the clamp with a screwdriver.
Sit the fuel tank protector on top of the fuel pump module and tighten its bolts to 35 inch-pounds, using a torque wrench and a socket. Plug the electrical harness into the top of the fuel pump and listen for the click, indicating that it's locked into place.
Place the fuel pump cover back on the floor of the Avalon and tighten the bolts, using a ratchet and socket. Place the rear seat back in the Avalon by pushing the rear of the cushion under the seat back and pushing the front of the cushion down until it snaps into place.
Insert the "F-Pump" fuse back into the under-hood junction block and close the lid. Reconnect the negative battery cable, using a ratchet and socket. Close the Avalon's hood. Tighten the fuel cap and close the fuel filler door.
Turn the Avalon's ignition from "Off" to "Run" about three times to increase fuel pressure in the lines, then start the Avalon.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time