- 1). Turn the power off to the circuit you will be working on by turning off the breaker at the main electrical panel.
- 2). Remove the light switch cover plate. The cover plate is held to the wall by two screws, remove the screws to remove the cover plate and expose the electrical wiring.
- 3). Remove the old double light switches. The light switches are connected to the electrical box by screws at both the top and the bottom of the switch. Remove the screws and pull the switches from the electrical box to access the wiring on the switches.
- 4). Disconnect the old double switches from the wiring. Before you remove the wires from the switches, label the wires as to what they are connected to. Label the power supply wires with a piece of black electrical tape on each wire and label the wire that is connected to the light fixture with a piece of white electrical tape. The power supply wire is black and connects directly back to the electrical panel box. The wire that connects to the light fixture is also black; label the wires to be able to place them back in the proper locations on the new switches. Loosen the screws on the right side of both switches and remove the wires from beneath the screws. Discard the old switches.
- 5). Connect the new double light switches. Wrap the power supply wire around the bottom screw on the right side of the new switch and tighten the screw. Wrap the light fixture wire around the top screw on the right side and tighten the screw. Repeat this for the second switch.
- 6). Install the new double light switches into the electrical box. Gently push the switches into the box and connect them to the electrical box with the screws provided with the new switches.
- 7). Attach the new double-gang switch plate cover. The new cover will attach with four screws that are supplied with the cover plate.
- 8). Turn the power back on to the circuit by turning on the breaker at the main electrical panel.
EDITOR PICKS & Articles
- How to Fill Windshield Washer Fluid
- How to Repair Brake Pads on a Saturn 2000 SL1
- Instructions on Replacing Alternator Belts
- How to Replace My Brake Pads
- How to Fix Scratches on a 2008 Toyota Corolla
- BMW Auto Repair and Services
- How to Check the Coolant Level on a 2010 700 Grizzly Yamaha ATV
- How to Change the Serpentine Belt on a 2003 B3000 Mazda Truck
- How to Look for Wear or Leaks on Hoses and Clamps in a Ford Mustang
- Engine Specs of a Chevy Cobalt Supercharged
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
"Home & Garden" Categories
Stay With Us